Skip to Primary Navigation Skip to Primary Content Skip to Footer Navigation

Building Safety

Community Development





  • ICC Codes                                                                Beehive ICC                                            ENERGY CODE
  • Bonneville ICC                                                          Utah Snow Load Map                             Utah ICC             


Contact Us
Collette Peterson                             Woody Collette                            Tex Couch
Building Permit Tech                          Building Inspector III                   Building Official
Email:         Email:        Email:


Physical Address                            Office Hours
75 North 100 West                             Monday - Thursday  7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Midway City, UT 84049                       

Phone: 435-654-3223


So you’re considering building in Midway City, congratulations! 

Midway City now requires electronic submital for all permits and Inspection requests,  Dont worry though, we are here to help walk you through the process if you need us.  Below are checklists for your information and forms you will need to complete.  Make sure to completely fill out the forms or they will be returned to you prior to us accepting your submissions.

*NOTE:  All Solar permits will require a Rough Solar Inspection and a Final Solar Inspection.  We prefer to do both inspections same day if possible, Rough Solar Inspections will be done between the houres of 10:00 - 11:00 am and Final Inspections will be done between the hours of 1:00 - 2:00 pm.  

As you get your plans together, your engineer needs to know our design requirements. Please see: 

Energy compliance documents also need to be completed. Please see:

Zoning submittals also required for homes

The fees for the building permit along with any and all impact fees need to be paid at permit issuance.

Contractors building 5 or more homes at any one time within Midway City have the option of putting $7,500.00 on deposit with the city, equal to the amount of 5 Final Completion Deposits, so that we will not have to keep trading checks.  If you end up relinquishing monies from that account, it will need to be replenished.

A number of forms may/will be required for your project:

If ever there is a need for you to abandon your project, and transfer the building permit to another party, this form will be required:

Builders who build one plan many times have the option of registering a plan.  Then when it’s time to build the same home again, it is not necessary to do a full plan review, and the fees for the permit will be less; we charge an hourly fee instead of a percentage of the building permit.

Here is the document which accompanies the original permit: new downloadable document: Original Registered Plan form.  When it’s time to submit the second permit for that same plan, here are the requirements: Successive Registered Plans.  Here is the document to be submitted with the successive plan: Successive Registered Plans form.

When are inspections required?  View our list of required inspections here:

What do we look for at the major inspections?  Here are a couple of checklists of most common items:

These will also be attached to every new home permit.

Midway has an addendum with some of the basic code requirements:

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

To quote the code, permits shall not be required for the following:

Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.


  1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2).
  2. Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.
  3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
  4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  5. Sidewalks and driveways.
  6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.
  8. Swings and other playground equipment.
  9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 m2) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the required exit door .


  1. Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting.
  2. Reinstallation of attachment plug receptacles but not the outlets therefor.
  3. Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.
  4. Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus or equipment  operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy.
  5. Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.


  1. Portable heating, cooking or clothes drying appliances.
  2. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment  or make such equipment unsafe.
  3. Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


  1. Portable heating appliances.
  2. Portable ventilation appliances.
  3. Portable cooling units.
  4. Steam, hot- or chilled-water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.
  5. Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment  or make such equipment unsafe.
  6. Portable evaporative coolers.
  7. Self-contained refrigeration systems containing 10 pounds (4.54 kg) or less of refrigerant or that are actuated by motors of 1 horsepower (746 W) or less.
  8. Portable-fuel-cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.


The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.

The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Emergency repairs. 

Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.R105.2.2 Repairs. 

Application or notice to the building official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures, replacement of lamps or the connection of approved  portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles. Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety

Public service agencies. 

A permit shall not be required for the installation, alteration or repair of generation, transmission, distribution, metering or other related equipment that is under the ownership and control of public service agencies by established right.

Additional Information:

Midway City requires a permit when reroofing, recovering a roof, modifying an existing gasline, installation of a new water heater, installation of a new furnace, basement finish, and electrical meter upgrade, relocation, or repair.  These permits have set fees, below:

Permit Type


Modification of existing gas line


Water heater change-out


Furnace change-out


Electrical meter up-grade, relocation, or repairs


Basement Finish


Temporary Power (ex. Construction trailer)


Roofing, re-cover


Roofing, replacing


* Plus 1% state fee



Calendar Year Applications Issued Total Permits
1993   45  
1994   63  
1995   67  
1996   50  
1997   17  
1998   50  
1999   77  
2000   50 78
2001   24 60
2002   48 87
2003   61 105
2004 99 95 131
2005 264 246 332
2006 197 149 357
2007 107 97 223
2008 20 14 122
2009 11 9 100
2010 11 11 128
2011 22 22 102
2012 42 40 124
2013 86 85 176
2014 70 68 176
2015 123 100 247
2016 85 91 256
2017 75 72 233
2018 59 46 205